Aroostook County Quick Facts
- Aroostook County Population: 67,959 - US Census Bureau Data 2010.
- Population is 5.4% of the State's total population.
- Originally part of Washington and Penobscot Counties.
- Aroostook is named for an Indian word meaning "beautiful river".
- Incorporated March 16, 1839.
- Contains 2 cities, 53 towns, 9 plantations, and 112 unorganized townships.
- Density is 11.1 persons per square mile.
- Area - 6,672 square miles (21.6% of the state's area): 89% of the County's area is forest, 1% lakes, ponds and rivers, 10% cultivated farmland.
- Houlton is the Aroostook County seat, with offices in Caribou and Fort Kent.
- Maine's northernmost county bordered to the east, west and north by Canada.
- Aroostook County is larger than Connecticut and Rhode Island combined.
- Major crops: broccoli, potatoes, hay, small grain rotation crops.
- Site of two transatlantic balloon crossing launch sites.
- Aroostook County is home to the Allagash Wilderness Waterway.
WHAT'S UP AROOSTOOK !
Cultural and Historical Video about Aroostook County